Saturday, March 14, 2009

Helping the Hounds

What I'm really hoping is that one day we'll look at this "before" picture and be amazed at how far this momma hound has come. That's what I'm hanging onto.


Ramey, pictured at left with me and the vet in charge of the regional blood bank, lost all of her 2-week old puppies in the Fairfax Hunt fire and has third degree burns all over her head and other parts of her body. She has a huge amount of fluid build up and had to have plasma transfusions to replace proteins lost through the wounds. Nonetheless, she is patient, tolerant, quiet and stoic. In short, totally opposite of the screaming, writhing mess I would become in her condition!

Lost Dog Rescue has committed to helping all 6 of the hounds made available to us and we have already placed four into foster homes. Ramey and Duchess are the more seriously injured and have a bit of a long road to recovery.

I am most excited about Duchess' progress because the day of the fire she struggled for every breath and cried in pain. I thought she had no chance at all. Yesterday when I visited her, however, she was sitting up, eating cheez whiz and giving kisses. What a wonderful surprise!


No comments: