Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sibling Non-Rivalry

In the last six months or so I have had two foster dogs become my shadow, or "mi sombre" as my friend Manuel says. First was Bailey the white shepherd who glued himself to me to night he arrived- scared, skinny and filthy- on a transport from Georgia. I swear it happened the second I brought him into my kitchen and snapped a collar around his neck. For the next couple of months he kept himself in physical contact with me whenever possible and always, always, always in visual contact. Finally, Bailey got adopted and though it was hard to let him go I was happy to see him move on to a new life. 

Enter Raven. After a life of continuous breeding, Raven was turned into a shelter when her owner became ill. When taken out for a walk one day by a representative of another rescue group, Raven slipped her collar and took off. She was missing for months and when she was finally recaptured she was very, very pregnant. We brought her home right away and on the very first night here, she somehow managed to haul her giant pregnant belly over our fence and disappear. We looked for her all night and frequently sighted or heard her but were unable to capture her until the next day when she was just too tired to run anymore.  

Raven gave birth in my bathroom three days later and I sat with her through it all, including the one who didn't make it after being too long in the birth canal. Nine days after the puppies were born, Raven became critically ill and had to have an emergency hysterectomy. It turned out that her uterus was crumbling inside of her as a side effect of over-breeding and causing a terrible infection. Again, Raven fought back from adversity and when she came back home. we became best buddies. She is by my side always, one eye on me no matter what else is happening. The former runaway dog is 100% trustworthy off leash with me and never fails to come when called. I trip over her on a regular basis. 

When I learned last week that Bailey was going to have to come back to my house, I worried. I worried that my two shadows would hate each other and be in constant competition for my attention. I worried Raven would slink away if Bailey was too dominant in demanding my affection. I worried there would be bloodshed. 

My worries were put to rest tonight. I looked down from my stool to find the two of them laying face to face by my side playing an incredibly gentle game of tug of war. The game did not require either to move out of my way or to cede any territory. It was a quiet occupation for dogs who are waiting, ready to spring into action at the slightest indication of human movement. 

Always, I am amazed at the ability of dogs to work it out. Somehow, someway, they make it work, usually when we leave them alone and let them do it in their own way. 

No comments: